VIRTUALIZATION ENGINEER SENIOR
The Virtualization System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values and DOD standards. This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from engineering and development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle. This individual is accountable for the following systems: Windows 2008R2 and Windows 2012R2 Virtual Systems and infrastructure that support DHA medical applications. Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
SA Engineering and Provisioning
· Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
· Install new / rebuild existing virtual servers and configure hardware, VMWare ESXi hosts, peripherals, services, settings, directories, fiber channel SAN storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
· Install and configure systems such as supports DOD infrastructure and IA Compliance.
· Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
· Contribute to and maintain system standards.
· Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
· Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
· Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
· Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the network location. 10. Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
· Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
· Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues as assigned within the Remedy ticket tracking system.
· Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
· Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
· Upgrade and configure system software that supports DHA infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
· Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
· Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
· Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
· Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
· Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Microsoft and VMWare (VCP) preferred.
· Four to six years’ system administration experience. Four to six years’ creating scripts in Windows PowerShell preferred.
· In depth knowledge of VMWare 5.5 and 6.5, VMWare HA, vROps, ESXi host profile configuration, storage clusters and performance tuning, EMC SAN configuration and troubleshooting.
· Working knowledge of CommVault Simpana 11 is preferred.
· Position deals with a variety of problems and sometime has to decide which answer is best. The question/issues are typically clear and require determination of which answer (from a few choices) is the best.
Responsibility/Oversight – Financial & Supervisory
· Functions as a lead worker doing the work similar to those in the work unit; responsibility for training, instruction, setting the work pace, and possibly evaluating performance.
· No budget responsibility.
· Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
· Provides occasional guidance, some of which is technical.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort
· Responsibilities require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
· No regular travel required.
· Associate’s degree in Science, Computer Engineering or Networking.
· Contractor must possess an active favorable National Agency Check with Law and Credit (NACLC) Clearance within 60 days of contract award AND a minimum of an Interim Clearance or open OPM investigation prior to starting work.
· Comp TIA Security+® or other DOD 8570 compliant IAT Level II Certification is required.
VMWare certification 5.5 or higher (VCA) required, VCP preferred.
· 2nd shift M-F 3p-12a with weekend shift rotation.